Save the Children Nigeria is recruiting for fulltime Medical Officer.
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Medical Officer
- The Medical Officer will ensure quality of clinical services provided at the Outpatient Therapeutic Programme (OTP) Sites and strengthening identification of complicated cases of severe acute malnutrition (SAM) at the OTP Sites.
- With the support of the Senior Medical Officer, S/He will provide quality treatment services to complicated cases, work with the Nurses to ensure that all cases on admission receive quality care and be responsible for the documentation of commodities, medicines/consumables utilized daily.
Key Areas Of Accountability
- Provision of high quality care to complicated SAM cases:
- Provide clinical care to complicated cases of SAM admitted at the Stabilization Centre (SC)
- Ensure clinical care provided at the SC is in accordance with the National guidelines for In-patient Management of SAM
- Mentor and provide on-the-job training on stabilization care and documentation to nurses and other health workers deployed to the SC to ensure:
- Respect of approved protocols for management of acute malnutrition
- Correct use of programme monitoring and evaluation (recording) tools
- Appropriate use of resources, stock control and ordering procedures
- Strengthen clinical services at the OTP:
- Ensure effective triage in the OTP sites and that children are promptly referred
- Support health workers in the OTP to correctly take medical history of new admissions and conduct physical examination for all cases (new and old) of SAM
- Ensure medical complications among SAM cases in the OTPs are correctly identified and proper management instituted
- Provide on-the-job training (knowledge update) to health workers in the OTP on clinical care in the management of SAM
- Ensure the utilization of medicines, medical supplies, nutrition-related commodities are routinely documented in the relevant tool
- Ensure timely collection and compilation of quality data for the production of quantitative and qualitative reports regarding all SC activities
- Support the development of weekly and monthly reports on activities, and any other ad hoc report that may be required
- Support the production of case studies related to inpatient care, at least one per quarter or as per line manager’s request
Representation and relationships:
- Participate in Nutrition related Meetings, Seminars and Workshops and feed information acquired back into programming
- Work and strengthen relationship with Borno State Ministry of Health and Hospital Management Board, UNICEF and other partners implementing CMAM and Stabilization Care in the State
- Other – Other ad hoc tasks as requested by Line Manager
MIN REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
Requirements, Skills, Experience and Education
- Medical Degree (MB,BS; MB, BCh) from a recognized/accredited University in Nigeria
- At least one year post-graduation experience
- Previous experience with other local and international NGOs
- Experience in Nutrition and in community based programmes
- Training and experience on treatment of acute malnutrition
- Advocacy and logistics experience
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English and Hausa, spoken and written
- Ability to work in partnership with government and other NGO staff
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work within a team setting
- Independence, adaptability and flexibility with good workload management, multitasking and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Work experience in health/public health and or in a health/public health organisation, including as a trainer.
- Experience with providing institutional support and technical assistance to development partners, government/community institutions
- Ability to work effectively both independently (with minimal supervision) and as a member of a team
- Commitment to gender equity, child rights, community empowerment, and grassroots development approaches
- Effective planning and organising skills
- Effective interpersonal skills – oral and written communication skills
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Kindly note CVs will be reviewed on a rolling basis due to the urgency of this position.